Monday, February 16, 2009

Feburary 16- Biking Isn't Glamorous

I've decided to dedicate this entry to the glorious and not so glamorous sport of biking. Prior to Amsterdam I had envisioned biking as a lovely, almost romantic experience (I blame the movies for this). Biking, in my mind, involved sundresses and attached white wicker baskets containing puppies. Well it was all lies; the movies have failed me.

Previous biking expectations:



The past week has revealed to me the harsh realities of bike riding: the rain, wind, traffic and flat tires. Biking, in Holland, looks more like this (only remove the woman's huge grin, add a coat and the most unattractive pair of rain pants you can think of).

The Real Truth:



Additionally, the past week has heightened my awareness of the real dangers of biking. I've created a list (ordered from least to most dangerous) of the dangers one faces when s/he decides to embark on a biking excursion in Amsterdam.

1. Badly parked bikes- these bikes are parked by incompetent cyclists who seem to forget that when your back bike wheel is in the bike lane it could create a hazard to cyclist. Danger level = 1.5, worst-case scenario= having to stop suddenly and possibly aggravating the cyclists behind you.

2. Couple Biking- this is similar to couples in the States who tend to walk on the sidewalk, hold hands and basically create an impenetrable wall you can't seem to walk around. In Amsterdam, this activity does not occur on the sidewalk, but rather in the bike lanes; two people will cycle next to each other leaving little space for novice cyclists like myself to bike past. Danger level 3.6, worst case scenario= three person collusion

3. Cyclists who multitask- I have been amazed at the things I have seen cyclists do while biking; this includes but is not limited to, talking on the phone, talking on the Bluetooth, walking a dog (cyclist bikes, poor dog tries to keep up), and texting (or SMSing as they call it in Holland). The lack of attention put forth by those cyclists who multitask makes me nervous putting this at Danger Level = 4.12 and worst case scenario= interrupting a conversation, ruining a text, injuring a poor dog.

4. Mopeds/ Vespas - For some reason that has yet to be explained Mopeds/Vespas seem to believe they should join the cyclists in the bike lane. While a moped/Vespa may look similar to a bike it is not a bike. The can cruise at a speed that no cyclist could maintain and the drivers seem to emphasize this as they speed race down the bike lanes. Not cool. Danger level= 4.5 Worst Case Scenario= Collusion in which the Moped/ Vespa would win.

5. Cars- This one is pretty self-explanatory. Danger level= High, Worst Case Scenario= Death?

6. Street Trams- These trams have a way of sneaking up on you when you least expect it. If the trams themselves don't get you their tracks will- unless crossed at a certain angle you run the risk of getting you bike wheel stuck. Danger level and Worst Case Scenario= Same as Cars

7. Flat tires- Okay, perhaps this isn't the most deadly or dangerous but it sure is inconvenient. Today, for instance, my bike was making strange noises and I was struggling to keep up with my friends who were also biking. I was convinced that my bike was at fault for this and I became so enraged at my bike that I squeezed and popped the front tire. This was right before I threw it into the canal.



Just kidding. In all actuality, though, my bike was making funny noises and I almost didn't make it over one of the bridges on my way home from Dutch class. Laura, who I was following, must have noticed that something was up and once we got back to SIT she pointed out just how flat my front tire was. Because of the flat I now must face the epic task of dragging (I obviously can't ride it) the bike to Orange Bike to have the tire fixed... Yet another thing to add to the coolness factor of biking.

Aside from biking, all is well and I shall update again soon!

That's all for now.

All My Love,
L.

4 comments:

Aaron said...

Also don't get doored: when you're riding past cars and they open the door and something not fun occurs.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_Om7pveY9p-w/SGo7HHC1xtI/AAAAAAAAAhc/FP1B6behocM/s400/doored-1.jpg

Glad to hear you're into cycling though! It seems like it'd be hard not to there. Much love!

RD said...

now you know what i deal with minus the bike lanes. today i almost got hit by suv nice huh?

Unknown said...

This is your mom. Where is your bike helmet?

trey said...

You look so FIERCE with that bike tire! I can't wait until the stories change from "so, I almost got run over..." to "So, I almost ran over someone..."