Sunday, February 15, 2009

Feburary 12- 15th.

Thursday was a simple day; I had dutch class from 10 - 12:30 and then I went off on my own and explored (or rather got lost in) the city. Later that night my friend Emily and I were supposed to meet the group at a club, however upon arrival we realized how sketchy the place was and decided to go somewhere else. We ended up at this little jazz bar right by our house called Profste. Emily and I made friends with the owner and are now attempting to become regualars.

Friday was a long day at school and afterwards I had to rush home to make dinner. Els, my homestay mother, asked each person in the family to cook one night a week- to give her a break. Phil, my host father, is a good cook so when it's his day there are no problems. Tom and I, however, are a different story. Both Tom and I have limited cooking skills (Tom moreso than myself) so this week we had to fight over who got to make the pasta (Tom told me he can only cook pasta and pancakes). So Friday I made a lovely pasta dish and my friend Emily came over and joined us for dinner. After dinner Emily and I went out and met up with the rest of the group at Cafe Sappho. Cafe Sappho was a cute club with a fun crowd. They also had velvet attached to the walls which reminded Emily and I of the tacky backgrounds they have in Prom pictures so naturally we took our own prom-like picture. Emily and I ended up leaving Cafe Sappho early and going to Profste.

On Saturday I met up with a friend from American, Meris, who is studying outside of Amsterdam (I forget the name of the school- sorry Meris!). It was wonderful seeing and having coffee with Meris. After coffee with Meris I went home for dinner. After dinner Emily, Hanna and Clem and I met up at Profste (we are succeeding at becomming regulars) and played a few rounds of Jenga- it was the perfect, laid back, Saturday night.

This mornign my host mom woke me up to go see the Opera with her. The opera house was beautiful and even though I didn't understand a word of the opera, I had a wonderful time. After the opera, Els and I rode our bikes to a cafe in Vondelpark and then went home to nap. The rest of today was spent shopping for rain boots and attempting to do dutch homework.

I have pictures of all these things that I have just written about, however, Blogger is only letting me upload two? I will try to upload the remaining pictures tomorrow...

Until then, Sleept Lecker!


Dam Square Our "prom" picture (take note of the velvet walls)


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Leo,

Looks and sounds like you're having such a good and fun time in Amsterdam. Love reading your blog.

Love ya, Grandma Kitty

Anonymous said...

I agree, with your Grandma, it sounds like you are having a wonderful time. I am so glad. I had to laugh about the rain boots. I never owned as many umbrellas as when we lived in Germany.

I didn't know you could post comments on this site. I sent you an e-mail thanking you for the lovely gift and especially the note. I was overwhelmed and cherish both. The SCC is now over for the parks, so my "queenly" status is just about over.

Stay safe and have fun!

Lynn